Monday, March 1, 2010

A Reflection on "Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind"




Who am I?

I am a person who likes to sit back and watch things unfold, knowing that I can step in and take full control when I want to. I like to have a backup plan for everything, and I like to test things even wen I know deep down that it won't work. I'm looking for one word to sum myself up... frustrated. I'm extremely frustrated that I can't do the things that I want to do because I have to to work and go to school and that I can't break laws. If I want to go over a fence and climb some rocks at the beach, why can't I? I have a lot of things that I want to do, and I'm looking for the time to do them, and for people who have nothing better to do than to have fun. What I want out of life is good memories.

What is I?


"I" is how we identify ourselves by what separates us from the rest.

Is there a self that I can control?

There is a self that I can control, and I alone control that self. Although consequences have a direct influence on my decisions, I ultimately make all decisions.

How does the film start?
The film begins in the aftermath of what happened before the scene, but was a result of what happened in the rest of the movie. The first thing that the viewer sees is a seemingly innocent but weirdly eerie scene of a typical person's life. It is important for the viewer's to see the first so that they are interested in watching the rest of the movie to find out what is going on with these two people.

What is the central conflict of the film?
The central conflict of the film is when Clementine erases Joel from her memory, sparking his retaliation where he erases her from his own memory. I believe that it is both internal and external, because Clementine had an internal battle that led her to erase Joel from her memory, yet his actions had led her to dislike him in the first place. Joel internally suffered from Clementine's actions, but his suffering was caused by her, an external source.

No comments:

Post a Comment